Direkt zum Hauptbereich

I'm not an addict - am I?

My first month as full time employee is over and things are going pretty well. Work is currently quite easy going. I have time to improve things. Most likely it will be worthless when the think-tanks behind the projects create new requirements, but that's ok, because I now get salary. The freshly graduated students I know all go the same prestige-track: first they buy a new computer. I did it, too, for my old one was barely working since I drowned it once during a legen-dary story (Hälsningar till Mainz, lil åpa). Considering the law of freshly graduated students a flat television in a minimum size of 60" will follow, right after a new by-far-too-expensive car and right before the super-duper dolby soround audio system with playstation 3 which gets lost in the living hall of my new huge single-appartment. I - dont - think - so. Instead I asked for holidays and I hope to get a response, soon. If everything goes well, I will escape the summer for two weeks in July.
As I said, work goes fine. In the beginning days were passing slowly - until I got friends with the global employee-drug: coffee. I never liked it, despite when I was at work. At Fraunhofer a coffee always meant a break from work and a funny chat with the co-workers. A warmly welcomed change from patterned thinking required by programming. But coffee at Atos can be accessed any time and you usually drink it at your desk or where ever you want. Like once at Fraunhofer I had to get used to the frequent bad taste, but sugar and milk helped and I soon started to appriciate the benefit: time flies! In two days I became the one of the team with the highest coffee consumption. I have to admit after lunch I feel like a jumping rubber ball, but still: time flies. Work tasks feel shorter and quickly done. However, once I am member of this addicted community again, I miss one thing: fika. A relaxed fika round. With a coffe and a kanelbulle. Too bad, we do not have departments in Sweden...

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

Old man

At the weekend I drove to Philipp in Dörenthe for celebrating his birthday. It took a while until I found his house, because as soon as the village starts it ends. Took a while to figure out that most of the houses around than actually in the village. However, after joyful and relaxed driving I reached my goal and met also Solène and Sebastian there. It was like time had never passed. We told so many stories and there are enough left for the next 5 days, when they are coming to Aken. It turned out that my moving out was not so urgent as the landlord told me. First it was a trick counting on kindness, because he told new renters a totally different story than me. However, with this story he scared the 3 guys off who wanted to rent the apartment, since they did not trust him anymore. I for myself think, he is ok, but I better do not believe in any surprising thing he tells me. All that counts is the contract. But I figured out that I have time to cancel my flat until October. Therefore I...

Back to the roots

After three weeks home things become more clear. I will work in Aachen for my master thesis. I gave it up to go to Brussels, since the company messed it up. First they talked about a possible real job with full payment. After more than one week waiting they offered me a giant project. I was happy. But they wanted me to do it for free during an internship. 7 months. No accomodation, no salary, but meal vouchers. When I said, I am looking for a real job, they said I would not be sufficiantly experienced. But for an internship doing the same job I was experienced enough... Luckily I had this very good opportunity in Aachen. The project is much nicer, too. So, back to the roots. Coming back to Aachen means also looking for a flat. Since my lonely year in Aachen and the amazing flatmates in Sundsvall I know, I do not want to live alone the next few months. Today I have my first appointments for inspecting flats. I even have some favorites, but I am a little bit insecure, since I did not sig...

MFG

I think, I had a first day that is usual for a first day in computer business. Of course, I was 20 mintues too late, because the village of the company was surprisingly bigger than one street and I ended up somewhere in nowhere. Luckily Micha could pick me up. What a start. Next getting a card at the entrance. I am not in the system, so I get a one-day entrance card. Maybe tomorrow I am already registered. Afterwards I met a lot of people, learned a lot of names. At Atos you call each other with the first name (not so usual for distance-loving Germany). And now I have an idea why they hired me. I think I met 50 people, but they had only 10 different names. Maybe they hire people because of their names. Almost everybody seems to be called Wolfgang, Peter, Stefan, Michael, and - of course - Markus. Getting to know a lot of people also means to learn about a lot of different projects. And a lot of technical terms I never heard of before. Until 12 my head was full of technical terms and cr...