Direkt zum Hauptbereich

A prisoner behind the walls

Time is flying. Did I first plan to finish my thesis end of November, I more and more believe, that I will use the December, too. Atos already extended my thesis until end of December. If I really need longer than end of November, I can burry the plans to see Sundsvall this year again. Then I will need to make my final presentation some time in between when I work next year.
But it was not going at all during the past weeks. I was writing and programming, but somehow... without any real goal. The thesis seemed so pointless. Maybe it was the staying at home. Because today I spent the afternoon with my flatmates at the university's library. They needed to study for exams and I just did not want to stay at home again and went with them. However, reading chapters from my book and a few scientific papers again, I got totally different things from my sources than when I read them before. I read all this before at home or at work. Maybe I needed the atmosphere of a library or the time to invest my own thoughts in ontology matching, before I could get the important things they talk about. Words in some corner of paragraphs I roughly had skipped suddenly hold hints how I can turn things around. 3 hours studying flew by and in the end I had a lot of notes and ideas for programming and writing. I even have plans how to rewrite some chapters of my thesis to finally get everything in a storyline. Maybe I can hold the deadline of end November.
Although this day was a "normal study day" (for me a great success), the other days of the week stood in queue with the monotony of the former week. It happened that I did not leave the room for more than one walk and a few times grocery shopping. Those are times when I can hardly stand myself. But this weekend all flatmates are here and we are having fun. Last night we wanted to go out, but somehow we forgot the time and sit in the kitchen until late at night only talking. Great. We plan to rearrange the kitchen a bit, because currently we are almost never using the couch.
Oh, we have also been in the new Jams Bond movie on Monday. Cool movie, although it more feels like a bond-in-between. Tonight I went to the cinema again and watched Krabat, the German attempt to make a thrilling movie. The story is very good, but the movie feels more like an extended trailer where the story is happening somewhere between the short takes you see as highlights. An instant-fantasy movie. After the movie my flatmates and I went for a few beers to a pub. We tried some Belgian beers. Surprising, but awesome taste. And quite strong. However, since we were experimenting anyway, we ate fried Mars and Snickers, too, just to try it. It tastes very good, too.

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

Back to the roots

After three weeks home things become more clear. I will work in Aachen for my master thesis. I gave it up to go to Brussels, since the company messed it up. First they talked about a possible real job with full payment. After more than one week waiting they offered me a giant project. I was happy. But they wanted me to do it for free during an internship. 7 months. No accomodation, no salary, but meal vouchers. When I said, I am looking for a real job, they said I would not be sufficiantly experienced. But for an internship doing the same job I was experienced enough... Luckily I had this very good opportunity in Aachen. The project is much nicer, too. So, back to the roots. Coming back to Aachen means also looking for a flat. Since my lonely year in Aachen and the amazing flatmates in Sundsvall I know, I do not want to live alone the next few months. Today I have my first appointments for inspecting flats. I even have some favorites, but I am a little bit insecure, since I did not sig...

Old man

At the weekend I drove to Philipp in Dörenthe for celebrating his birthday. It took a while until I found his house, because as soon as the village starts it ends. Took a while to figure out that most of the houses around than actually in the village. However, after joyful and relaxed driving I reached my goal and met also Solène and Sebastian there. It was like time had never passed. We told so many stories and there are enough left for the next 5 days, when they are coming to Aken. It turned out that my moving out was not so urgent as the landlord told me. First it was a trick counting on kindness, because he told new renters a totally different story than me. However, with this story he scared the 3 guys off who wanted to rent the apartment, since they did not trust him anymore. I for myself think, he is ok, but I better do not believe in any surprising thing he tells me. All that counts is the contract. But I figured out that I have time to cancel my flat until October. Therefore I...

EILC 2008

In the end I want to publish something that might be of special interest for those who spend the EILC 2006 with me in Härnösand . Midsweden University officially has an EILC 2008 this year!! EILC stands for Erasmus Intensive Language Course. In 2007 Miun skipped it. The old EILC 2006 page is deleted and new site of this year's course is http://www.miun.se/eilc/ . Looks quite similar to our starting page two years ago. Only Björn is now Johanna (check personal staff). And they could have at least published new pictures from Hans and Ella. The new course is going to start in 2 weeks. If I imagine I would have stayed in Sundsvall as first planned, I would welcome the EILC students on their Campus trip... funny. I had no idea when was at their place . But since I only linked my pictures at that time to Hans EILC page, I have to repair my articles from August 2006 now, because all pictures are lost, of course. Luckily I saved at least those from the blog somewhere. But does anyboday h...